Saturday, 19 June 2010

What sparks your creativity?

Times have been tough. I'm sure for many of you, if not most, whoever you are, this rings true. The fact is, we have been struggling through the months for a while now. It is amazing how our Creator is always creative, though, and provides in various ways. The thing is, His creativity is right within us. He has made us in His creative likeness. Whether we allow ourselves to think out of the proverbial box, is up to us. Hence free will. We do all, however, possess the ability to create and be creative.

Free will means we need to make a choice. Sometimes neglecting to make a choice, is making an opposite one. Yesterday I stood once again before the crossroads of choosing wisely, or not. We were (my two-year old daughter was, to be precise) invited to a birthday party today. It was a normal thing, par for the course of having children, but after I had given an affirmative reply to the invitation, it seems that our finances had really taken a beating, and I had found myself in the position of not being able to buy the birthday girl a gift. And so I could sit on a heap and just worm myself out of the party in some way, or I could be creative. Hmmm. The former seemed the more likely.

My mother-in-law had previously blessed me with some awesome craft-stuff, including felt in the prettiest assortment of rainbow colours and embroidery thread. I had inherited a mishmash of buttons from my sentimental, refuse-to-throw-anything-away mom, and I had collected a variety of beads in all my favourite hues as the years had gone by.

That changed things. I could simply not allow myself to spend a Saturday feeling bad about myself and my financial situation, when there was something to be done about it!

The end result is a beautifully packaged parcel with 7 homemade felt hearts, all embellished with random buttons. I am quite proud. And it was a great party too!!


(Please ignore the low quality of the images, you can't have everything!)

1 comment:

  1. Ilse, hierdie is regtig AMAZING!!!!! Seriously cool en baie innovative - en net sommer 'n inspiring storie vir down en out mense... ;)

    ReplyDelete