Sunday, 24 October 2010

My dad's angel out of heaven

I do believe this topic deserves its own blog post. And it'll save me a lot of typing if I can just direct people to my blog. My dad got married. People think all sorts of things about that. And people assume things about how I feel. Let me just first make it clear that this blog is the expression of my own views. I do not speak for anyone else. What others feel, they will have to make clear all on their own. Maybe they should blog about it too.

Back to me. I miss my mom. I miss her more and not less. Sometimes I feel like curling up in a corner and just letting it all out, but then my children walk in, or someone makes light conversation, blissfully oblivious to my state of depression, and I suck it up. So I guess I'm dragging it out. Which means it's a given that I will still miss her for years. Desperately. I'm sure my dad will still miss her for years too. I am convinced of that. (Remember, my view).

So he gets married. And people are weary of my reaction. They hesitantly go "?" before "congratulations"... they wait to see how I feel before responding. Decent of them. Thing is, I cannot say "my mom died" and "my dad got married again" in the same breath. I do not think of it simultaneously. They are two entirely separate events. My mom is not married to my dad anymore. Death did them part. They had been faithful, they had had a wonderful marriage that was an example to many, me included. But it's over. She is gone. Nothing can change that.

Now most people probably suppose that one should wait until you're not sad anymore before you get married again. Heck, I thought that! Before my mom died, I would hear about men getting married merely months after losing their wife. It freaked my out. I would gasp and wonder and... well... judge. The thing is... you are never not going to be sad anymore. You need a reason to be joyful again. There can be many reasons. God gave my dad a reason. I guess it could have been quite different if I weren't certain of the fact that this union is from God.

You should hear my dad's story. He found an angel out of heaven. She is wonderful. She is beautiful and soft and she makes him glow. They love each other like a young married couple should. How can I not be happy? My Father in heaven has blessed my father on earth, and in doing that, he has blessed our entire family, by adding to us. I love it. I love how He has perfect timing. I love how He helps us during broken times. How He works the hurt around into strength, wisdom, growth.


That story about footsteps in the sand? It's not just a story.

1 comment: